WPL 2024 will be held in one state: A confirmation by the BCCI secretary
The WPL 2024 auction concluded with many surprises and unexpected twists. As Kashvee Gautam and Vrinda Dinesh became the most expensive uncapped players in the WPL 2024 auction, there was another twist about the tournament’s venue. After the conclusion of the grand event, BCCI ( Board of Control for Cricket in India) secretary Jay Shah confirmed that the WPL 2024 will be held in one state.
After the event concluded at 6:30 pm IST on 9th December 2023, Jay Shah further confirmed that the tournament begins probably in the second or third week of February.
Also, there isn’t any official confirmation about the exact schedule. According to the latest sources, the organizers will tentatively plan the Women’s Premier League 2024 between 22nd February (Thursday) and 17th March 2024 (Sunday).
Although the exact venue isn’t confirmed, there is a plan for the entire tournament to take place in one state.
Due to logistical considerations, probably the WPL 2024 might be held in a fixed venue.
Moreover, Jay Shah asserted that a detailed discussion with all the franchises will determine the final decision.
WPL 2024 will be held in one state: BCCI secretary shares his plans
BCCI secretary shares his plans that the WPL 2024 will be held in one state based on these crucial factors:
1. Logistics Consideration:
To improve the logistics efficiency, the WPL 2024 will be held in one state. Understanding the crucial role of logistics on this occasion, Jay Shah promised that the Board will actively explore multiple venues for the forthcoming events.
2. Final Decision with all franchises:
Moreover, Jay Shah confirmed that he would announce the final decision after engaging in a detailed discussion with all the franchises.
3. Possible alternative venues for WPL 2024:
Jay Shah explains that there are several possibilities for hosting the WPL 2024 tournament in various states such as:
- Bengaluru: A huge fan base can be experienced at M. Chinnaswamy Stadium
- Uttar Pradesh: A perfect venue to host multiple T20 matches in a week with various stadiums available such as:
- Green Park Stadium, Kanpur
- K. D. Singh Babu Stadium,Hazratganj
- Lucknow International Cricket Stadium
- Gujarat: Various cricket stadiums across different venues in Gujarat can offer the possibility to host the tournament with a huge crowd gathered such as:
- Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad
- Saurashtra Cricket Association Stadium, Rajkot
- Vadodara International Cricket Stadium, Vadodara
- Chandigarh: The Sector 16 Cricket Stadium with a seating capacity of 30,000 members is located in Mohali. Also, many fascinating international matches took place successfully at this venue.
- Ranchi: Many times, the spectators have witnessed interesting matches at the JSCA International Stadium Complex.
- Delhi: A cricket club at Arun Jaitley Stadium has the best facilities equipped.
Additionally, Jay Shah highlights the possibility of other venues that include the cities of Ahmedabad, Rajkot, and Vadodara in Gujarat.
4. Joint Discussion:
Importantly, all the franchises and BCCI will have a joint discussion to finalize an exact venue. A collaborative discussion enhances a clear idea of organizing the tournament at a single location.
5. Possibility to organize in Mumbai:
Previously, Mumbai exclusively hosted the inaugural edition of WPL 2023.
Similar to the previous edition, possibly the WPL 2024 will be held in one state.
Notably, the WPL 2023 took place at two different venues in Mumbai namely:
- The Brabourne Stadium
- DY Patil Sports Academy, Maharashtra
- Maharashtra Cricket Association (MCA) Stadium, Pune
Perhaps, the BCCI might once again plan to host the second edition of WPL in Mumbai. Interestingly, Mumbai Indians were the defending champions by defeating Delhi Capitals in the finals.
Also, the Indian Women’s cricket team is currently participating in the ongoing international season. This comprises hosting the series against Australia and England in Mumbai.
Jay Shah clarifies that the decision solely depends on the availability of the venues. Moreover, the BCCI is not restricted to organizing the matches, only in Mumbai.
Furthermore, the BCCI secretary clarified that they are open to exploring different cities and states for hosting the match.
Jay Shah believes that the forthcoming edition of the WPL will gain massive success compared to its previous one.
Additionally, the BCCI secretary points out that the two uncapped Indian players have grabbed an attractive offer. This indicates the franchises’ intent to secure the Indian players.
However, it remains unclear about the schedule and venue of the forthcoming tournament. Jay Shah confirmed that, with the tradition of its previous season, the WPL 2024 will be held in one state.
Moreover, the organizers will announce the exact schedule and venue in January 2024.
Ultimately, an exact venue for WPL 2024 will depend upon certain criteria that include:
- The Stadium availability and quality
- Fan Base and Audience Engagement rate
- Travel convenience of the team players
- Logistics Efficiency