Here is exciting news for women cricket fans. The womens IPL is going to take place in 2023. There will be an auction to buy the media rights from the year 2023 to 2027. Women’s Indian Premier League is a great step to promote women’s cricket more. The main motive behind WIPL is to bring justice to the game of women. They deserve equal opportunities as men. And the day has come.
The media rights for WIPL are for five years. The governing council of IPL has put a fee of INR 5 lakhs to be part of the auction. On paying this fee, the payer will get an Invitation to Tender.
One can apply for ITT for womens IPL auction till the end of this year. So, that is 31 December 2022. No applications will be accepted after this period.
One of the main things to remember about the WIPL media rights auction is, the fee paid is non-refundable. So, think carefully before doing so.
Now, only with the money, you can not assure to be selected for bidding on womens IPL media rights. There are many other eligibility conditions too. If any of the conditions is not met, sorry to say, you will not be allowed to take part in the bidding.
The womens IPL will take place in March of the year 2023. The venue is India. And, the total number of matches will be twenty-two. In each team of WIPL, the total number of players is eighteen. Out of those 18, only 5 overseas players can take part in playing 11.
Also, five of the franchises are sold already. And, soon more are ready to sell too. Buyers are already in a queue.
Key Points about WIPL 2023
Following are some of the key points you must know.
- The base price for the IPL franchise is INR 400 crores.
- This is open for the players too.
- The players can even bid more than franchises.
- BCCI is already working on signing women cricketers all over the world for WIPL.
- This will assist in keeping a final number of p[layers in the auction.
- Men’s IPL franchises are also joining it. This tells us that it will be a huge success too.
- Once the players sign a contract with the BCCI, they automatically are bound to agree to the terms and conditions of franchises that buy them.
- Before the actual auction, players will go through a draft.
- There is news of a separate e-auction for media rights too. But, it is in debate for now.
So the above are a few interesting points about the tournament.
So, above is almost everything about the new season of IPL. The format will almost be the same as the men’s IPL. Also, the auction will happen behind closed doors. E-auction for media rights is not open yet. In fact, the BCCI denied it for now.
There is one most important point to note about it. The BCCI holds all the rights to change or cancel any of the applicants for the media rights auction. And, they can do it with complete discretion. So, be aware of that too.
At last, the beginning of womens IPL is at the edge. It will definitely be an exciting journey for cricket fans. The viewers can enjoy some classic cricket at home. Soon, we will find out which channels will be telecasting the matches for us to watch at home.