The year 2023 has marked a great beginning and a heart-breaking conclusion for Team India. The ICC World Cup 2023 finals provided the most heart-breaking conclusion for Team India in cricket 2023.
After a long journey to the finals as the dominant team, millions of fans were loaded with tons of expectations with Team India lifting the World Cup trophy on their home ground.
Despite the high ticket prices, the huge crowd of more than 1,30,000 gathered at Narendra Modi Stadium, Ahmedabad (Gujarat).
Apart from spending money on tickets, several cricket fans traveled from various states to watch the grand finals of this tournament. Many politicians and celebrities attended the finals hoping to once again witness the winning moments of the 2011 World Cup on Indian soil.
Ultimately, the platform was completely set for the unbeaten side of the tournament to win the World Cup trophy on their home ground.
Moreover, the finals at Gujarat were grandly organized with a huge budget that included:
- A special performance from the best Bollywood singers
- More than 500 Dancers from Mumbai performing a special show
- Dynamic air show by the Indian military planes
- Crackling fireworks and attractive light displays show extravagant visuals
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s grand entry into the stadium which represents his name.
- And many more…
The only task left for Team India as the unbeaten side was to defeat Australia and win the World Cup to enhance the celebration.
Australian skipper Pat Cummins posed a tough challenge to the hosts ahead of the World Cup 2023 finals. The Aussie skipper shares that in cricket, there is nothing more enjoyable than experiencing a huge roaring crowd become silent on their home ground. This was the main aim of Pat Cummins.
Finally, Pat Cummins and his men turned this challenge into reality which proved to be the heart-breaking conclusion for Team India in the year 2023.
Australia achieved their 6th World Cup title by defeating India by 6 wickets
The Journey from the Greatest Beginning of the Year to the Heart-Breaking Conclusion for Team India in Cricket!
Team India started off this year by winning back-to-back series against different nations. Based on the Indian team’s performance, hopes were raised among many fans to lift the ICC World Cup trophy in 2023 on the Indian ground.
The 2023 year started with Team India experiencing a nail-biting win against Sri Lanka during the 1st T20I match and later impressed with their decent performance in the series and tournaments sequentially that includes certain wins and losses:
- 3-match T20I series against Sri Lanka: 2-1
- 3-match ODI series against Sri Lanka: 3-0
- 3-match ODI series against New Zealand:3-0
- 3-match T20I series against New Zealand: 2-1
- 4-Test Match Series against Australia: 2-1
- 3-match T20I series against Australia: 1-2
4. ICC World Test Championship:
Australia won against India by 209 runs to become the test champions.
5. India Tour of West Indies:
- 2-Test Match Series against West Indies: 1-0
- 3-match ODI series against West Indies: 2-1
- 5-match T20I series against West Indies: 2-3
6. India Tour of Ireland:
3-match T20I series against Ireland: 2-0
7. Asia Cup 2023:
India won the Asia Cup 2023 against Sri Lanka by 10 wickets.
8. Australia Tour of India (September 2023):
- 3-match ODI series against Australia: 2-1
9. World Cup 2023:
Australia emerged as the new defending champions by defeating India by 6 wickets.
Greatest Beginning of the tournament as the unbeaten side to the Heart-Breaking Conclusion for Team India in the 2023 World Cup Cricket!
Team India started with a dominating win against Australia and continued to enter the finals with the longest winning streak in a single World Cup. Here are the dominating wins of Team India against all nations in World Cup 2023 to enter the finals as the unbeaten nation of this tournament:
1. AUS vs IND 5th match CWC 2023: India won by 6 wickets with 52 balls to spare.
2. AFG vs IND 9th match CWC 2023: India won by 8 wickets with 90 balls to spare.
3. PAK vs IND 12th match CWC 2023: India won by 7 wickets with 117 balls to spare.
4. BAN vs IND 17th match CWC 2023: India won by 7 wickets with 51 balls to spare.
5. NZ vs IND 21st match CWC 2023: India won by 4 wickets with 12 balls to spare.
6. ENG vs IND 29th match CWC 2023: India won by 100 runs with 91 balls remaining.
7. SL vs IND 33rd match CWC 2023: India won by 302 runs with 182 balls remaining.
8. SA vs IND 37th match CWC 2023: India won by 243 runs with 137 balls remaining.
9. NED vs IND 45th match CWC 2023: India won by 160 runs with 13 balls remaining.
10. NZ vs IND 1st semi-final CWC 2023: India won by 70 runs with 7 balls remaining.
After glimpsing through the above results, every Indian fan would certainly expect Team India to win the World Cup trophy after Kapil Dev and MS Dhoni’s era.
Also, Team India’s 10-match winning streak in a single World Cup under Rohit Sharma’s captaincy was concluded by the Aussies.
Here are the crucial reasons for the heart-breaking conclusion for Team India in the 2023 World Cup finals:
- Losing the crucial toss at a chasing pitch like Narendra Modi Stadium
- Indian skipper Rohit Sharma’s early dismissal and out-of-control performance after being set on the crease.
- KL Rahul’s lack of intent to score boundaries.
- Only 5 fours struck between 10 to 50 overs.
- The ball came onto the bat easily during the 2nd innings under the lights.
- The 192 runs the partnership of Travis Head and Marnus Labuschagne. This was a crucial partnership that was a treat for Aussies and a threat for the men-in-blue.
Overall, the journey that was started as the unbeaten side ended up being the runner-up of the tournament, making fans aggrieved and heartbroken to watch the best teams lose on their home ground.
Though Australia won the World Cup, the Indians have won everyone’s hearts with their exceptional performance throughout the tournament.
Winning and losing is just the part of the game. Unfortunately, the loss for team India happened during the finals, which proved to be the most depressing moment.